Friday, January 7, 2011

Burnin' bridges, shore to shore ...

Last night was the premier of "The Jersey Shore", our generation's "MASH". I don't fully get into the show as others do, however; I do appreciate how ridiculous these people are. Tanning one's flesh to the color and texture of leather, sleeping with as many people as humanly possible, and wearing clothes only hookers and color blind individuals would throw on are values that my generation seems to hold dear.

I find, while watching the show, that I start to give a shit about these characters. I wonder what they're like off-camera. I wonder if Vinny really does have a college degree. I wonder if Snooki is as batshit insane as she appears to be. I wonder what these people will look like in the future. Raisins?

I don't really get to watch a lot of television as it airs. I'm a big DVR guy. I like fast-forwarding through commercials, unless there's a movie trailer or video game ad I want to see. That said, "Jersey Shore", and anything with Gordon Ramsay are live-viewings. I don't know why. There's something about catching those shows live, knowing people in my circle have also seen them, and being able to talk about it the next day.

I remember talking about the old "X-Men" cartoon from the 90's with my friends that would air after school or Saturday mornings. I always wanted to be Cyclops. Everyone else wanted to be Wolverine or Gambit. To this day, I would prefer to be Cyclops over Wolverine, even though the latter got his own film, while the former was incinerated by his smoking-hot redhead girlfriend. This is movie continuity, mind you.

I like "Jersey Shore" because I like watching Jwoww (one w?) punch things. Sammi. Ron. Screech. Anyone, really. As long as that silicone amazon is throwing punches, I'm all in.

2 comments: