Monday, January 3, 2011

Last Chance Harvey ...

Every once in a while, I'll do a review on a film I recently caught, be it on Netflix (the greatest invention since antiseptics) or at the theatre (which does not happen nearly as often as I'd like it to).

Last night, my fiance and I had one of our typical trio of "Movie Nights", and it was her choice. After being disgusted by watching ten minutes of Precious, Emmy changed her choice to Last Chance Harvey, a movie I was shocked to see had a standard five-star rating on Netflix.

As it turns out, it is totally deserving of all five stars. Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thomspon (who is still stunningly beautiful) are fantastic in a simple, sweet, and laid-back story of love. I absolutely adored this film and would totally recommend it to anyone looking for something genuine, sweet, and full of beautiful English scenery.

I'd have to give it a five out of five, as well. Perfect love story without being too silly or overly sweet.

Today was supposed to be a hangout with my movie compatriot, Andre,where we planned on raiding a Blockbuster video store that was going out of business. I planned on gunning for XBOX 360 games and Blu-Rays. My car, however; had other plans in mind.

I hadn't driven my beautiful relatively new car in about a week until yesterday, when we jumped the battery. I could just blame the snowfall, but I won't, I'll throw in my laziness and just general lack of care, but yesterday, Daisy (my car's name) woke up, ran for a few minutes, and all seemed fine.

This morning, not so much. She won't start. I had to cancel my raiding party with Andre and put it off until tomorrow, which is tentative because if there's something wrong with the actual battery or starter or whatever, I'm screwed.

I love when a Blockbuster video closes. It's like a party to me. When Hollywood Video ate it a few years ago, and started closing stores up like crazy, Emily and I went on a binge right before seeing Kick-Ass, where I bought everything in the store, with the exception of Titanic and Walker, Texas Ranger on DVD.

I feel like a Viking when I enter the store in question. As if it's a town that's been set ablaze and everything is for the taking. Super Mario Brothers: The Movie on DVD for two bucks? Yes, please. Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia for five dollars? Absolutely.

It's like training, for me. Training for the day when Best Buy falls to bankruptcy. Something that may never happen, sure, but one can dream. All my hard work, raiding and preparing myself mentally for the downfall of my favorite store where brand new blu rays can be had for mere dollars. Andre and I could cut a swath through the store, with Emily by my side, my badass Viking princess, grabbing box sets of "Friends" and "Charmed".

That day will be glorious! Valhalla, indeed!

From Last Chance Harvey to Viking imagery in the span of a few paragraphs. That's a quick left turn into Crazy Town.

1 comment: