Saturday, January 15, 2011

I can't be in love if it's plastic!

My fiance and I (before having an epic and tear-inducing argument, my tears, not hers, she's made of metal like a Terminator) saw Black Swan today.



The film is directed by geek favorite Darren Aronofsky, former husband to the delicious Rachel Weisz. This guy at one point was going to turn Batman: Year One into a film, and was the visionary who wanted Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne and Batman. He also made the amazing and startlingly beautiful The Fountain, starring Hugh Jackman.

Black Swan, a movie more famous for the sex scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, is absolutely incredible. Do not believe the hype that this is a drama. It is an unabashed horror film from the first reel to the last. I haven't been so tense or terrified while watching a movie as I was while watching this. Natalie Portman, while outstanding as Nina, our lead, seems a bit old for the part, or maybe the script is painting her as too young? I don't know anything about ballerinas other than they're all apparently built like 12 year old boys.

That said, Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel, and Barbara Hershey (star of The Entity, the ghost-rape movie I watched about a week ago) are all phenomenal. It's really unbelievable the things that happen in this film.

If Inception hadn't come out this year, Black Swan would be my number one movie of the year. Without a doubt.

That said, it's my second favorite.

I give Black Swan five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment